Do you pay attention to heavy metal exposure? Or, did you see your Instagram blow up with news about the recent lawsuits against Vital Protein regarding Prop 65 and heavy metal testing and wonder if you’ve been out of the loop?
This was from a 2017 filing which addressed four products.
- Vital Proteins Grass Fed Pasture Raised Collagen Whey Cocoa & Coconut Water (lead, cadmium),
- Vital Proteins Collagen Veggie Blend (lead, cadmium),
- Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides Dark Chocolate & Blackberry (lead),
- Vital Proteins Grass Fed Pasture Raised Collagen Peptides Vanilla & Coconut Water (lead).
This isn’t the first time there’s been concerns about heavy metals in food products. I am constantly teaching patients how to read labels and vouch for themselves. At the end of the day, it’s our job to be aware of what we’re buying, supporting, and consuming. But that is super overwhelming and really hard when you’re at the grocery store on a time limit. I hear you!
The table here is from clean label project, “64% of the collagen products tested had measurable levels of Arsenic on a per serving basis ranging from 0.09 micrograms/serving up to 4.7 micrograms/serving. The Garden of Life Unfavored Collagen Peptides product tested had the most amount of Arsenic among the 30 collagen products tested.”
Note that exposure to heavy metals in not concerning unless they are consumed in excess. But, this is also why checking products that are used regularly, like each day in your coffee, are the one’s to be most careful with, because toxicity is more likely!
5 Whitness approved collagen peptides
- from grass-fed animals on pasture
- from animals raised without the use of antibiotics.
- below 0.5 ug/day of lead and require no Prop. 65 Warning for California.
Another site review (see here) discussed that the following brands use cramped conditions for their animals, and/or didn’t respond about heavy metals. Thus, I would take extra precaution with these:
- Ancient Nutrition Multi-Collagen Peptides: tested for trace levels of mercury
- Beachbody Collagen Peptides
- BioSil Advanced Collagen Generator
- Bulletproof Collagen Protein Chocolate: Has levels of lead and cadmium above what the State of California says is safe.
- Correxiko Marine Collagen, Unflavored: has tested for trace amounts of mercury
- Isopure Unflavored Collagen Peptides
- Orgain Grassfed Pasture Raised Collagen Peptides: This brand tested for lead amounts above what the State of California says is safe. And also had trace amounts of mercury via labs mentioned.
- Organixx Collagen: This brand tested for trace amounts of mercury via labs
- Picnik Collagen Creamer
- Perfect Keto Collagen Peptides
- Modere Collagen Peptides
- Reserveage Nutrition Collagen Replenish Powder: Tested for trace amounts of mercury
- Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides: This brand tested for trace amounts of mercury. After analyzing the California Attorney General’s office we noticed that Vital Proteins has numerous 60-day notices from consumer & consumer groups to the Attorney General. These notices are a precursor to a lawsuit.
- Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin Powder
- Youtheory Collagen Advanced Formula Tablets: has between 0.5 ug/day and 15 ug/day of lead per their prop. 65 warning (lower lead warning)