Trader Joe’s is one of my favorite places to go grocery shopping. Unlike most stores, the prices continue to remain stable and the employees are basically the friendliest people on the planet. Coupled with the variety of freezer, fridge, and pantry options, Trader Joe’s is a GF, DF Registered Dietitian’s dream come true!
The adult version of a toy store? Trader Joes
Use this What Would Whitney Order: Trader Joes Edition featuring my go-to low-glycemic, gluten-free, and dairy-free friendly products.
Most important – don’t miss the free download version at the bottom!
And, start every grocery trip by using these Whitness Nutrition helpful healthy grocery shopping tricks! I recommend these actions to all of my patients on our grocery shopping tours (included in every package!) to ensure they’re buying the most nutritious and delicious foods for their home include:
- Shop your kitchen beforehand: see what you have in stock to avoid food waste and unnecessary spending. Instead of buying that second bag of fresh spinach, another option would be frozen kale or zucchini noodles.
- Figure out your week: traveling? Work dinners? Determine how many days you actually need meals for. And, on busier weeks, add in easy time-saving options like pre-cut veggies and individual containers of guac. Generally, I have at least one container of pre-cut, pre-washed vegetables on hand at all times.
- Make a list on a Joy Creative notepad. Their grocery list and meal planning pads are SO fun and can help organize your thoughts before you head to the store! Nab a discount with code nutrition10. I make a list every week, organized by sections, with specific amounts, to save on waste. Whenever I need to make a list, either a to-do or a grocery, Joy Creative is my favorite way to make it fun!
The Ultimate Trader Joe’s Low-Glycemic Grocery Guide
- Jicama wraps
- Pre-cut veggie stir-frys
- Shaved brussel sprouts
- Mini Sweet Bell Pepper
- Cruciferous Crunch slaw
- Pomegranate seeds
- Pre-cooked beets
- Organic pre-shredded kale
- Spicy Cashew Butter or Green Goddess Dressing
- Grass-fed cheese, for example, New Zealand Sharp Cheddar
- Guacamole to-go packs
- Cashew Queso
- Folio cheese wraps
- Cashew kale pesto
- Kerrygold pure Irish butter
- Organic garlic hummus
- Just Chicken, Heat and Serve
- Wild-caught alaskan salmon
- Charcuterie meats such as nitrate free prosciutto
- Chicken or beef bone broth
- Grass-fed greek yogurt (not dairy-free!)
- Organic extra-firm tofu
- Chicken sausage
- Sockeye smoked salmon
- Pre-hard boiled eggs
- Cauliflower Slims (not dairy-free!)
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust (not dairy-free!)
- Almond butter chia overnight oats
- Ezekiel Sprouted Bread (not gluten-free, but sprouted wheat is easier to digest)
- Organic pre-cooked jasmine rice, brown rice, and quinoa
- Cauliflower gnocchi
- Organic berries
- Vegetable stir-frys
- Cauliflower rice (a variety of options!)
- Root vegetable fries
- Turkey burgers
- Chili-lime chicken burgers
- Raw argentinian red shrimp
- Branzino filets
- Wild-caught Alaskan salmon filets
- Avocado oil
- Organic coconut aminos
- Organic marinara sauce
- 100% avocado and olive oil spray
- Organic coconut oil
- Nutritional yeast
- EBTB seasoning – i.e. a Trader Joe’s essential.
- Grainless Tortilla Chips
- Hearts of palm pasta
- Red lentil pasta
- Seeds & Grains crispbreads (not gluten-free!)
- Grainless granola
- Organic pitted medjool dates (blood-sugar balanced if first PAIRED with a fat, like nut-butter)
- Seaweed snacks
- Organic olive oil popped corn
- A handful of pitted manzanilla olive
- Unsalted nuts: pistachios, almonds, cashews, pecans and walnuts
- Hemp, pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- Organic chia seeds
- 100% natural peanut, sunflower, cashew and almond butter
- Chicken bone broth (they have both shelf stable and refrigerated!)
- Wild-caught tuna packets
- Chomps sticks (I also order in bulk through Thrive Market!)
- Flowers (don’t eat them, but they sure brighten our mood!)
Download the PDF version here!
Remember, the grocery store can be really overwhelming. No shame in that; we aren’t born knowing the proper way to grocery shop! Nor do most of us know how to label read. But that’s why those are services offered in my practice – we all need a little support! Interested in getting one on one grocery guidance? Schedule an in-person or virtual grocery store tour today.
Meanwhile, follow along on the Whitness Nutrition IG for more foodie finds and grocery tips!